Wednesday, February 20, 2008

wordsssss

something on my heart right now is words.

there's the word, jesus, the bible you know.
the bible is something close to my heart. it's encouraged me, helped me, guided me, restored me, healed me, taught me, shown me jesus, and oh SO much more. i've read it, prayed it, loved it, been annoyed by having to hear and read it again in sunday school... etc... and for a while... it was a burden to have to read it. but now i see it... wow, it's been there, on my bed, on a screen, and wherever i need it whenever i need it - whenever i need that restoration.

but here's the thing:

so often it hurts

it's been used for so much bad - to get more money, to persecute homosexuals, abortionists, black people, to start wars, to support conservative government

and i've always ignored that.
the world is so far gone that we see even God's word, being distorted, twisted and abused.

in luke 10 we see satan tempting jesus by quoting scripture saying "see God will protect you, jump off this cliff"
but jesus knew better, he knew the whole story.

but the point is, that yea we're human, and the bible was written by humans, but God is so intentional that what we've received is what he intended us to receive.

in the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God...the Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us...full of grace and truth

sweet.

the Word made flesh, crucified, resurrected, ascended, and incarnated through the accounts of four men, and one guy writing imprisoned and oppressed.

the thing is unless we realize the purpose of the bible - the word made flesh then word again - we don't have the Word, we have words, and those are fallible.


the problem was never the bible. i read a few days ago a quote by edwin muir

the fleshless word growing will bring us down

true

No comments: